Bjørg Plougmand is accredited by Macquarie University’s Centre for Emotional health as a Cool Kids Accredited Provider and offers the Cool Kids Anxiety Program for children 12-18 years old and their parents.
Cool Kids is a structured 10 session program run over a minimum of 10 weeks that teaches children and their parents how to better manage a child’s anxiety.
The program is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), involves the participation of children and parents, and focuses on teaching practical skills.
The Cool Kids program will be tailored according to the unique needs, goals and interests of each family. The program can be delivered as individual therapy or in small groups, with separate parenting sessions.
All types of anxiety including general worry, social anxiety, separation anxiety, and specific fears and panic.
Topics covered in the program include
- Learning about feelings and anxiety
- Learning to think more realistically
- Parenting an anxious child
- Fighting fear by facing fear (using stepladders)
- Learning other coping skills such as building assertiveness or learning to solve problems
- How to deal with setback and difficulties
- Maintaining progress after the program ends
Research shows that young people who complete the Cool Kids® program have marked
- Increases in school attendance, academic achievement, confidence, number of friends and involvement in activities, and
- Decreases in worry, shyness, fear and family distress
- The Cool Kids program was developed by Macquarie University and has been running since 1993.
- The program has undergone continual scientific evaluation and development to include the latest understanding of anxiety and its treatment.
- It has been translated into a number of languages and today, is used in clinics, schools and hospitals around the world.
If you would like more information, or are interested in completing the program contact Bjørg at firstname.lastname@example.org